Sunday, February 26, 2017

When One Door Closes...


Had a story. Okay, really I had three and the three of them were turned down by the publisher I typically submit my work to. I was crushed, defeated when the first one was rejected. I started doubting myself, my worth, who I was as a writer when the second one was, too. But, I didn't stop there. I rewrote, changed, edited like a crazy woman, even killed off characters who should have lived. 

I'm sorry. 

But, again, when the first book was submitted, it was rejected. Then, the light shown when I talked to a writer friend of mine and my husband. They both said the same thing. Submit elsewhere. Wow, nothing monumental there, right? Well, I didn't want to at first because I believed that if that one publisher who accepted my work in the past didn't want what I had poured my heart and soul into, maybe it just wasn't worth it.

That is crazy talk right there, people. 

Submit somewhere else. As a writer, you have to find the place for your writing style. The way you write may not be for that publishing house, but it just might fit somewhere else. Don't give up. Do your research, get to know other people in the field, and ask around. Find the publishers of authors who write similar to you and submit there. Check yourself, too. Be willing to read the reasons for the rejection. They may help to improve your writing so you'll be ready for submitting somewhere else.

Don't believe me? 
Well, here's a few articles on the topic of why your book may have been rejected, what to do or why you should consider an alternative: 


I took a chance and sent a book to a different company. Well, they accepted, and now my work is in a place where it fits, in a publishing house that is not only kind, but is also reputable and professional.
  
When one door closes, another door opens, but traveling those halls can be brutal. And, it's traversing from one end to the other that I learned some things:
1. Be willing to submit elsewhere. - There are more publishers out there. Take a chance. Truly, it's more about you establishing yourself and gaining your audience. Develop your brand, then find a house. 

2. Hone your craft. - If you're given suggestions, heed them. Make the changes that fit with your style, with how you write. Writing is a calling, a passion. You want it to be fabulous? You have to do the work to get it there. 

3. Get to know people in your field, build relationships. - Knowing people is important no matter what you do. It's especially important in the writing world. Building those relationships will help. You'll find out what publisher has changed, who's writing where, where the best places might be for you style, and things you can't just know from reading the publisher's website. You'll find betas, supporters, a shoulder to cry on and others who will give you a swift kick in the ass. And, yeah, you're going to need it. Get to know people.

4. Research - Know your style, your genre. Know other writers like you. Know the publishers you hope will accept your work. Don't go in blind. Read the submission guidelines and be certain their publishing house is the right one for you.

5. Don't wallow. - You got rejected? Get up, knock the dust off your knees, and get back to work. 

I'm working. 
And? I'm waiting to see if the the other two books make it, too. 

Love you all,
Deja


No comments:

Post a Comment