Sunday, March 5, 2017

Writing - The Journey Never Ends!

Yes, Broken Pieces made it! I have signed the contract with Extasy Books, and Peter's story will be told.

And after I have finished Flirty and Red,








I will begin Kristoff's story!

I'm beyond thrilled to have a home for these works and can't wait to see what happens next. 

In the meantime, though, I'm working on Getting There with hopes of sending it to Extasy. One of the greatest gifts I've received from Extasy Books so far is their list of House Style rules. If you're a writer, you're always trying to find the words you've repeated, and while there are probably great tools for this, I have yet to find one that I am going to copy and paste all of my work into so this can happen.

In the past, I created a list, but it just wasn't complete. I would read through and stress, scratching my head.

Now, I have this. Thank you, Extasy.

Some of these words are passive, weak and/or excessively overused. Search via the highlight all feature, you might be surprised and watch for all forms:

a bit                        a little             a lot                            about
actually                 almost             alread y                      appear
approximately       as                    basically                    been
began                     begin,             begun                         being
caused                   close to           completely                could
essentially            even                eventually                 exactly
extremely              fairly               finally                         get
got                          had                 half                             has
have                       here                highly                         in
into                        just                  just then                     kind of
knew                      knowing        large                           like
momentarily        mostly            must                           nearly
notice                     now                only                            out
practically             pretty             quite                           rather
really                     seem               seen                            simply
slightly                  small              so                                somehow
something             sometime       somewhat                  sort of
start                        such                suddenly                   that
then                        there               therefore                    thing
to                            to be               truly                           unbeknownst
utterly                   very                was                             watch
were                       within             would                        all names
Beware of phrases that start with words such as:
about to                 began to         begin to                      begun to
could                     start to            would



Actually going through and checking for these words has improved my writing! I have better sentences since I just can't remove a word. The sentences have to be tweaked and changed. And, I find that I like the results, the way my words flow.

Maybe you have something else you're using, but I love this. No more scratching my head looking for the repeat word. Now, I'm scratching my head for ways to make it better. 
Writing. It's the journey that never ends!





No comments:

Post a Comment