Saturday, March 14, 2020

Back in the Saddle

On to the Next One

Well, it's time for Broken Dreams now. That's the third book with Extasy Books and the fourth after the original. The men in this one? Samuel, the crazy little minx at the end of Broken Promises and mentioned in Broken Pieces. Then there's Darren. He's appeared in Broken Bones and Broken Pieces. Finally, we have the mystery guy. Why do I say mystery, you wonder. (Maybe you don't, but let's play pretend.) He's a mystery because I don't even know him yet. What I do know is he's the guy that will balance the two of them out. 

Darren needs some help with Samuel. The job's too hard to handle alone. So, where's his mystery man? Well, now. That's what I'm working on. And boy, I don't know if Darren will like the form the mystery guy's going to take. Darren's been avoiding this fate for far too long. It's going to grab him by the balls. 

And that's exactly what he needs. Our guy's a planner. Time to throw him totally off his game. 

You know me. I'm inspired by pictures, so I'm currently building the Pinterest board for this one. 
Here are a few of the pictures I've been considering. 







It's 

I'm trying out a few new things for me here. Not sure how they'll go across or even if I'll follow through. Depends on where the muse takes me. 

What Have I Learned?

Well, it's not exactly a new thought here, but more or less a reminder. I have learned that I have my own style. I know, right. That should be a given after about thirteen books, but I can't help myself sometimes. I read another author and I break one of the writer cardinal rules. You know the one.

Thou shalt not compare one's writing to another's. 

I know better, but somehow I fall in the trap of wondering if I'm a good writer because I don't write like the books I enjoy reading. But you know what? Someone enjoys mine. After questioning myself yet again, a good friend gave me a Gibbs verbal smack (Think NCIS) on the head. 

She said people read different types of books for different reasons. She reads mine for pleasure. She tells me I'm a good writer, and I believe her. My editor says so. Another good friend does, too, no matter how many times I tell myself I'm not. My reviewers do. The messages I get from readers do, too. So, maybe I'll just write the way I write and watch my writing grow. 

You do the same.

Don't believe me? Been doubting yourself as well? Check out these articles. They could help. 


Stop Comparing Yourself to Other Writers

by Aaron Charles


This one is definitely worth a read. There were quite a few moments where I wanted to applaud and others that reminded me of why I started writing in the first place.


Want to improve, but you're not sure how?

https://www.enchantingmarketing.com/stop-comparing-your-writing/

Stop Comparing Yourself to Others: Here’s How to Improve Your Writing Skills Without Getting Frustrated

On the Homefront

Just like the rest of you, we're washing our hands at home and everywhere else, too. This is a scary time as we see more and more businesses close, school close, and tension everywhere. We're finding reasons to smile, though, and other reasons to laugh. We're also being grateful for the time we have together.

Meals are happening at home with all of us around the table, and I don't have to force the kids to take their medicine.



If this craziness has taught me anything, it's how much more I value my family, how important it is to keep lifting others up, and that if you use sanitizer, follow it with lotion. My hands. The Sahara has nothing on them.

Wash those hands.
If you're hoarding tissue, stop it.
Lastly, keep smiling.

Love,
Deja.




 




No comments:

Post a Comment